My Favorites Conversation

Isabel: I never wanted to be a mom. Well sharing it with you is one thing, carrying it alone for the rest of my life, always being compared to you. You're perfect. They worship you. I just don't want to be looking over my shoulder for the next 20 years knowing that someone else could have done it right, done it better, the way that I can't.
Jackie: What do you have that I don't?
Isabel: Your mother earth incarnate.
Jackie: You're hip and fresh.
Isabel: You ride with Anna.
Jackie: You'll learn.
Isabel: You know every story, every wound, every memory. Their whole life's happiness is wrapped up in you. Don't you get it? Look down the road at her wedding. I'm in a room, alone with her, fitting her veil, fluffing her dress, telling her no woman has ever looked that beautiful. And my fear is that she'll be thinking, "I wish my mom was here".
Jackie: And mine is, she won't. But the truth is, she doesn't have to choose. She can have us both, love us both. And she'll become a better person because of me and because of you. I have their past and you can have their future.
Stepmom, 1998


No comments: